Jan 30, 2015

Visible Man, Invisible Man

Today in the train station an Amtrak employee asked a guy with a walker what he wanted from the store—which brand of water he preferred, how salty he liked his pretzels, and so on. Three minutes later she was back with the stuff. He and I were about the same age, but exhibited the visibility of our disabilities differedly: he with walker, I with no black glasses nor white cane.

I'd bought my ticket over the phone to get the visually impaired discount. They always ask if I need assistance, and I say that I don't, even though I can't see the timetable and have trouble finding my track. On the occasions that I have requested assistance, the folks doing the assisting act upon assumptions of extreme incapacity. In airports they just put any person with a disability in a wheelchair and get someone else to roll them to the gate to avoid any mobility mishaps. In a way it's nice to be taken care of, but summary treatment of anyone with a disability can be de-personalizing. 

So when I'm asked, "Will you need assistance?" I have to choose between anonymity and bumbling my way toward the gate, or visibly getting pushed around in a wheelchair with white cane and black glasses in tow. Today I choose to be left alone. Will I choose to be over-assisted tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment