Jun 2, 2015

Unproofread = Unprofessional?

I've started sending things I write to proofreaders. This cone dystrophy of mine is a recipe for tons of typos. But I may need proofreading for more than just the things I write.

A snippet of CONES premiered at FringeArts' last night alongside other works in progress. They'd sent me this tech schedule:
 ...which was a little small, so I enlarged it on my screen:
I noted "3:30" on my calendar and asked my ride to come at rehearsal at 2:00. She watched a run and at 2:30 we packed up to hit the road before 3:00, but with bad traffic we loaded in at 3:35. The tech folks asked for my lighting and sound cues, and then told me that my tech time had been from 3:00 to 3:30.

How did I mess this up? I'd registered what I'd seen in the email and confirmed the time with collaborators. I felt unprofessional and undependable, but I swear I'd read 3:30. So I re-examined the original email and scanned around a little more to discover this:
Zooming in earlier, I'd only seen the end time for my tech slot and thought it was the start time.

Stuff like this always happens and I often feel like a goat at a banquet. Do I need a secretary to handle all my scheduling and other affairs? Or do I need to tell everyone, "Hey, I can't see so well. If I screw up, it might be due to that, not me just being a flake."

Last night's saving grace was that the power went out and the whole show happened with the audience shining 100 flashlights onto the stage. Everything looked great and the piece about vampires and vision loss especially benefitted from the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment