Jun 20, 2015

Not Quite Face-Blind, Not Quite Blind

Last night we opened CONES to a big and friendly crowd. I can't really see anyone during the show (and if you've seen CONES or kept up with this blog, then you know why), so I invited everyone to come say hi afterward. Even when people I know come up to me one by one, it can take me a moment to figure out who folks are, especially people I don't see often. The irony is that I've written this blog and made this show about being in between sighted and blind, and immediately afterward everyone gets to test it out—each of them once, me over and over again.

A few months back I wrote about prosopagnosia, or face-blindness, a neurological condition that I do not have. Here's another podcast about face blindness from the excellent Aussie/Kiwi programme Paper Radio. In this one a guy name John shares firsthand accounts of the split between intelligence and emotion that comes with face-blindness. Again, even though our conditions differ, I relate strongly to John's experiences, especially in his having an undiagnosed condition and then discovering what it is, and also about the process of passing and having a coming-out ceremony.

CONES runs for two more nights in Philly. Details here.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a witty, thoughtful and entertaining show last night. Break a leg on the next two performances, but not literally!

    ReplyDelete